Skip to main content

Celebrating Prince: Day 3 Free



Now I like to party just like the next person. If you can't get up and dance to a funky Prince track, there has got to be something seriously wrong with you. But there is a time and a place for everything.

There are times when I would come across a Prince song that would get me all in my feelings. The lyrics, his voice, the guitar, or his ever changing vocals would have me like, "What just happened?"

"Free" is definitely in my top 10 favorite Prince songs of all time. Speaking of which, I should create that list, hmm...

The lyrics to this song and the background vocals have always reminded me of losing someone. When my mom died, I played this song for months while sobbing through it. Check out the lyrics below and you'll know what I mean. It still gives me chills.

You can find the "Free" track on the 1999 album. This double-LP was such a classic that I wore a grove into both records. I then got it on cassette tape and wore the words off the tape.


Lyrics

Don't sleep, 'til sunrise, listen to the falling rain
Don't worry, 'bout tomorrow, don't worry 'bout your pain
Don't cry, unless you're happy, don't smile unless you're blue
Never let that lonely monster take control of you
Be glad that you are free, free to change your mind
Free to go 'most anywhere, anytime
Glad that you are free, there's many a man who's not
Be glad for what you had baby, what you've got
Be glad for what you've got
I know my heart is beating, my drummer tells me so
If you take your life for granted, your beating heart will go
So don't sleep until you're guilty, 'cause sinners all are we
There's others doing far worse than us, so be glad that you are free
Be glad that you are free, free to change your mind
Free to go 'most anywhere, anytime
Be glad that you are free there's many a man who's not
Be glad for what you had baby, what you've got
Be glad for what you've got
Soldiers are a marching, writing brand new laws
Will we all fight together, for the most important cause
Will we all fight, for the right to be free
Be glad that you are free, free to change your mind
Free to go 'most anywhere, anytime
Be glad that you are free there's many a man who's not
Be glad for what you had baby, what you've got
Be glad for what you've got
Be glad that you are free, free to change your mind
Free to go 'most anywhere, anytime
Be glad that you are free there's many a man who's not
Be glad for what you had baby, what you've got
                                                                           - Prince



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Boy! Kal’El Joseph Riley

Terri J. Vaughn and hubby Karon Riley had a healthy baby boy last Monday. Terri spent six hours in labor and gave birth to little Kal’El Joseph Riley at 6:05 P.M.

He weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.

Congrats to the couple.

Jennifer Love Hewitt Fat? Please...

Jennifer Love Hewitt fans have been dogging her out on the Net saying they can't believe she's let herself go and 'oh my God she's SO fat!'

The girl is a size freakin' 2! Are they on crack?

Oh I get it, they've finally seen some pics of a celebrity that weren't air brushed and they couldn't handle it.... let me explain: What you see on TV, in magazines and online is a bunch of lighting, air brushing and hair & make up trickery. There, carry on please.

Michael Jackson: Before & After Thriller

As you may know by now, Michael Jackson will be on the December 2007 issue of Ebony Magazine. They are showcasing him 25 years after "Thriller".

I commend him on still trying to be out there after years of controversy and court cases, but I wish the man had stayed out of the plastic surgeon's office.

Here's Micheal Jackson before "Thriller"



Here's Micheal Jackson during "Thriller"



And here's Micheal Jackson 25 years after "Thriller"



Who's Bad??