Celebrating Prince: Day 26 The Breakdown


Back in 2014, shortly after settling his long-term battle with Warner Brothers Records over the ownership of his master recordings, Prince returned to the label. Ironically, this reunion was just a few months shy of the 30th anniversary of the film and album Purple Rain.

Released in April 2014, "The Breakdown" is a ballad off Art Official Age , Prince's 37th album. The track features Prince's flawless falsetto as he begins the tune by announcing, "This could be the saddest story ever been told." An echoing keyboard follows, flourishes into pizzicato strings, and fills out nicely with a classic Prince bass line.

A month before, in March, Prince told Arsenio Hall that his typical answer to the question, "What is your favorite song?" is usually, "The next one." It was a cheeky moment that exposed his typical sarcastic but cute brand of humor. Later, Prince went on to admit that his favorite song was, "The Breakdown."
Listen 2 me closely as the story unfolds
This could be the saddest story ever been told
I used 2 want the house with the biggest pool
Reminiscing now, I just feel like a fool

U keep breaking me down, down, down
U keep breaking me down, down, down
Keep breaking me down, down, down
U keep breaking me down, down, down

I used 2 throw the party every New Year's Eve
1st 1 intoxicated, last 1 2 leave
Waking up in places that U would never believe
Give me back the time, U can keep the memories

U keep breaking me down, down, down
U keep breaking me down, down, down
U keep breaking me down, down, down
U keep breaking me down, down, down

Every book I read said that I would meet somebody like U
Whenever I was sorry, so sorry 4 the things I used 2 do
A journal full of numbers that I used 2 go thru ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
All behind me now all because of U!

U keep breaking me down, down, down
(U keep breaking me, U keep breaking me down!)
U keep breaking me down, down, down
(I don't wanna, wanna, wanna go ... no, no, no, no, no!)
U keep breaking me down, down, down
(Don't wanna go down, down, down, down, down)

(Down, down, down) (repeat)

Baby, baby
See, there's a door that U can walk through where there used 2 be a wall
I don't care, it's cool as long as U catch me, baby
Catch me when I fall (If there's ever a fall)

Closer 2 the breakdown
Closer we get 2
Closer we get 2
Closer we get 2
Closer we get 2 the breakdown

No comments

Powered by Blogger.