Celebrating Prince: Day 21 Sometimes it Snows in April


On the first anniversary of Prince's death, no other song comes to mind than this one. It is one of the saddest songs that I have ever heard. This song carries a message that over the years I have found to be very true. Having grown up in the Boston area, and also having lost a friend and a loved one, I know that indeed, "Sometimes It Snows in April."
Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war,
Just after I'd wiped away his last tear,
I guess he's better off than he was before,
But sometimes sometimes life ain't always the way,
When I first heard this song in April of 1986, I was filled with an incredible sense of sadness. I had listened to the entire Under the Cherry Moon, Parade soundtrack from the beginning and this was the very last song.
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because he was my only friend,
Those kind of cars don't pass u every day,
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because I wanted to see him again
The album cover, like the movie, were in black-and-white. However, the music itself is very colorful, fun, and full of life. It was always a new and exciting experience for me when I listen to a new Prince album. I would look over the artwork and read the credits while the music played.

I remember laying back and closing my eyes just before the chorus. I had listened to the album before seeing the movie, and I wondered what was Prince was thinking adding this track to the album. It was so different from the rest of the songs.br />
Sometimes it snows in April,
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad,
Sometimes I wish life was never ending,
And all good things, they say, never last
Initially, I did not understand how this fit into the "Life is a parade" theme. But as I listened to the track, I began to realize that if life is a parade, it has to end at some point. And I decided that must be what the song was about; living life to the fullest, loving like you'll never be hurt, and mourning lost loves.
Springtime was always my favorite time of year,
Now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears,
Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain
I played the song over and over, which was a habit of mine. From the start, I liked the song as soon as I heard it, but each time I replayed it, I began to feel as if I knew Tracy. Tears slowly crept out of the corners of my eyes as I imagined a friend that I'd never see again. It was just like Prince to have me all in my feelings, I swear.
He used 2 be so strong unafraid to die,
Unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized,
Now, staring at his picture I realized,
No one could cry the way my Tracy cried
Now, some thirty years later, the song affects me the same way. How can that be? Maybe now that I have lost loved ones and good friends I can better relate. Or may, just maybe, the song was that damned good to begin with.
Sometimes it snows in April,
Sometimes I feel so bad,
Sometimes, sometimes I wish, that life was never ending,
And all good things, they say, never last
Or maybe, because I think of the sadness of losing yet another piece of my youth. My childhood, teen years, and adulthood, would not have been the same without the talents of the man who was so talented that he pioneered "the Minneapolis sound."
I often dream of heaven and I know that Tracy's there. I know that he has found another friend,
Maybe he's found the answer 2 all the April snow,
Maybe one day I'll see my Tracy again
I recognize that some people think that we idolize entertainers too much, but I don't care. Prince wasn't like any other entertainer. The man was different. He was funky, cool, funny, and sexy all in one. I always thought he'd be fun to hang out with and that it would be awesome to watch him do his thing in the studio. His music has always drawn me in. One day I'll have to visit Paisley Park and stand in the very places where he stood, to imagine him whaling away on his guitar, to connect the pieces of our two worlds, and to simply check it off my bucket-list.
Sometimes it snows in April,
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending
But all good things, they say, never last
All good things they say, never last
And love, it isn't love, until Its past
"Goodness will guide me when love is inside me. Until then… life’s a PARADE!”
—C. Tracy

Comments