Celebrating Prince: Day 20 I Can’t Make You Love Me


 "I Can't Make You Love Me," is the tenth track off the Emancipation album.

Along with "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell, "Every Day is a Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow, "Creep" by Radiohead, "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, and "Betcha By Golly Wow" by Connie Stevens, "I Can't Make You Love Me," is one of the many songs from other artists that Prince covered. Not all were studio produced; however, all of the covers were funkdafied with Prince's unforgettable imprint.

"I Can't Make You Love Me," was written by Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin and originally recorded by Bonnie Raitt for her Luck of the Draw album. While undoubtedly an excellent song by Raitt, Prince adds a level of sexiness and sensuality to the song that it otherwise lacked. He brought it to a level that crossed the song over into an R&B category worthy of being added to a "must have" on your get-your-groove on playlist. In addition to being covered by Prince, the track was also covered by George Michael, Boyz II Men, Patti LaBelle, and Adele.

I was unable to find video for this song online, so you'll have to settle for the audio and the lyrics. Just... use your imagination.

Can't Make You Love Me
Turn down the lights, turn down the bed
Turn down these voices inside my head
Lay down with me, tell me no lies
Just hold me close, don't patronize
Don't patronize me

'Cause I can't make you love me if you don't
I can't make your heart feel something it won't
Here in the dark, in these final hours
I will lay down my heart (my heart) and I'll feel the power
But you won't, no, you won't

Because I can't make you love me if you don't
Do you?
Do you love me?
Look at me

I'll close my eyes, then I won't see
The love you don't feel, when you're holding me (Hold me)
Morning will come and I'll do what's right (Do it right [x2])
Just give me 'til then to give up this fight
And I will, I will give up this fight
Oh, yes I will

Because I can't make you love me if you don't
I can't make your heart feel something it won't
Here in the dark, in these final hours
I will lay down my heart (my heart) and I'll feel the power
But you won't, no, you won't
Tell me why, tell me why you don't?

(I can't make you love me if you don't)
Come here, baby
(I can't make your heart feel something it won't)

Talk to me, tell me where you want to be kissed
Talk to me, tell me how you want me to do this
In this bedroom/church, you can guess the offering

I offer you (My heart)
I offer you sexual relations (But you won't)
But you won't (you won't)

Tell me what's up baby?
Am I moving to fast?
Not only do I want to be the first, I want to be the last, the last
Is that so bad?
I.. I want to.. you know
I want to, I want to, I want to make you love me
(Do you love me?)

Come on baby, you can take it (My heart) (Come on and take it)
It's real love - I want to make it (I want to)
But you won't love me, love me (But you won't)
You won't love me, baby

What's a man to do?
What is this man gonna do?
I can't make you love me if you don't
I want you to (love me) love me
I need you to (kiss me, yeah)
Oh darlin' (Love me)
Love me, Love me
Love me, Love me
Love me

Turn down the lights, turn down the bed
Turn down these voices inside my head
Lay down with me, tell me no lies
Just hold me close between your thighs
(I can't make you love me)

Wooh, is there any wonder why this is on my list?

No comments

Powered by Blogger.