Celebrating Prince: Day 14 Erotic City

All of my purple life
I've been looking for a dame
That would want to be my wife
That was my intention, babe
I remember when I would buy anything that had Prince's name on it of GP (general purpose). I never really regretted it either. I purchased albums and singles like they were going out of style. That's how I ended up with the "Erotic City" 12" single on the B-side of "Let's Go Crazy" in the racks of my local record store.
If we cannot make babies, maybe we can make some time
Thoughts of pretty you and me, Erotic City come alive
We can fuck until the dawn, making love 'til cherry's gone
Erotic City can't you see, thoughts of pretty you and me
"Erotic City" was the official club banger and was included in just about every club mix on the radio. I used to go to the 18 and under clubs and when this song came on, we went crazy, just like the B-side.
Every time I comb my hair
Thoughts of you get in my eyes
You're a sinner, I don't care
I just want your creamy thighs
I found out years later that this song was inspired by a George Clinton concert and that "The Prime Minister of Funk" himself had done his own version of the song.

If we cannot make babies, maybe we can make some time
Thoughts of pretty you and me, Erotic City come alive
We can fuck until the dawn, making love 'til cherry's gone
Erotic City can't you see, thoughts of pretty you and me

I'd first heard "Erotic City" on the radio in 1989 while I was in my room listening to WERS 88.9, an R&B station in Boston. They played that song unedited and I nearly lost my mind. I called my best friend like, "Can you believe this!?"
All of my hang-ups are gone
How I wish you felt the same
We can fuck until the dawn ('til the dawn) (until the dawn)
How I wish you were my dame (baby, won't you call my name?)

We couldn't believe that they weren't bleeping away his foul language like that. But dispite the language, which we were used to in his songs anyway, we were on the phone dancing in our rooms and talking about marrying Prince and Michael Jackson.
Don't laugh, I know you did it too lol
If we cannot make babies, maybe we can make some time
Thoughts of pretty you and me, Erotic City come alive
We can fuck until the dawn, making love 'til cherry's gone
Erotic City can't you see, thoughts of pretty you and me

Comments