Skip to main content

Old School Friday: Political/Socio-Political Songs

99 Luftballoons was a song that spoke upon political hysteria (much like what we experience today). It was about a woman and a friend purchasing 99 red balloons in a store and setting them free ... just because.

Well, the balloons show up as UFOs on military radar and set off a political panic, which in turn causes a red alert for nuclear war. Initially, I had no idea what the song was about since I'd first heard it in German (back in the day I fell in love with the beat first), but once the English version was released, it stayed on my favorites list for quite some time.

Nena: 99 Red Balloons


Most people know UB40 for their hit "Red, Red Wine," but the group has written several socio-political songs touching upon various ills of society. One of my favorites is their cut "One In Ten" which touches upon the singer's ire at being a statistic of Britain's unemployment rate.

Chorus:


I am the one in ten
A number on a list
I am the one in ten
Even though I don`t exist
Nobody knows me
Even though i`m always there
A statistic, a reminder
Of a world that doesn`t care


UB40: One In Ten


**Bonus:** For the new school people, please check out the always politically correct (or incorrect however you view it), Dr. Cornel West & BMWMB (Black Men Who Mean Business).

Just a taste of what you'll find on his CD Never Forget: A Journey of Revelations which is a must for any collection.

Dr. Cornel West & BMWMB


And I'm out! ;-)
-----------------------------

Check out other Old School Friday posts by:

Regina | Celeb-Blitz | Marcus LANGFORD | MrsGrapevine | The Marvalus View | LaKeshia | Invisible Woman | Electronic Village | Miscellaneous Matters | Over Analyze It | The Punkin Patch | Sojourners Place | There Already | Dallas South | Fresh and Fab | irigal | Lisa C Writes | The True Urban Queen | Songs In The Key Of Life | What Would Thembi Do? | Wonderland or Not


Comments

  1. Great picks Shae-Shae! I'm an 80s baby and I loved 99 Luft Balloons. I knew UB40 mostly for Red Red Wine, thanks for introducing me to there more political music. That Cornel West song is pretty good too.

    Happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim!

    I had to put my jam 99 Red Balloons. :-) UB40 has a lot of songs with political messages. Check'em out when you get a chance.

    Happy OSF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy OSF! I learn new things all the time. I had not heard any of the 3 songs you've shared. Thank you very much for the songs and the explanation...

    peace, Villager

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shae!
    Great picks! I love 99 Luft Balloons and as a teen didn't know or really care what it was about I liked the beat, then I saw a vh1 segment on it and totally loved it!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Villager: I'm glad you liked them. You schooled me too so I'm glad I could return the favor. ;-)

    @Regina: As soon as I heard the beat I was hooked. Once I knew what the song meant, I was a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always found that foreign bands, especially Europeans, create very political and socially-charged songs because most of them are so oppressed by their own government and it causes them to make rebellious music. It sends a strong message nonetheless and in the end, everyone is just trying to be heard.

    :::Marcus LANGFORD:::

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oohh, you got me I have never heard this song, but it's nice. I think I like it, it sounds like Dido...

    UB40, wasn't a big fan, but I love Cornell West.

    You definitely brought some originals to the game...Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right Marcus. I wish we had more music that shows our appreciation for the freedom that we do have, otherwise we'd be writing more songs like these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MrsG I guess she does sound a bit like Dido doesn't she? Good call. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Boy! Kal’El Joseph Riley

Terri J. Vaughn and hubby Karon Riley had a healthy baby boy last Monday. Terri spent six hours in labor and gave birth to little Kal’El Joseph Riley at 6:05 P.M.

He weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.

Congrats to the couple.

Michael Jackson: Before & After Thriller

As you may know by now, Michael Jackson will be on the December 2007 issue of Ebony Magazine. They are showcasing him 25 years after "Thriller".

I commend him on still trying to be out there after years of controversy and court cases, but I wish the man had stayed out of the plastic surgeon's office.

Here's Micheal Jackson before "Thriller"



Here's Micheal Jackson during "Thriller"



And here's Micheal Jackson 25 years after "Thriller"



Who's Bad??

Jennifer Love Hewitt Fat? Please...

Jennifer Love Hewitt fans have been dogging her out on the Net saying they can't believe she's let herself go and 'oh my God she's SO fat!'

The girl is a size freakin' 2! Are they on crack?

Oh I get it, they've finally seen some pics of a celebrity that weren't air brushed and they couldn't handle it.... let me explain: What you see on TV, in magazines and online is a bunch of lighting, air brushing and hair & make up trickery. There, carry on please.