What Glitters Isn't Always Gold

(Photo collage featured courtesy of Black Tennis Pros)
Dustin Brown collage from Black Tennis Pros

I was over at Black Tennis Pros, keeping up with the latest and greatest in the world of tennis, when I saw an article about Dustin Brown.

No, I am not referring to Dustin Brown the professional hockey player, I'm referring to Dustin Brown, the professional tennis star.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Dustin says that he still does not have a sponsor, and continues to receive no assistance from the Jamaican Federation. This lack of support makes travel difficult, as well as entering the big tournaments.

At the same time, he has been having good fortune on the courts, which you can read about at his website."

It caught my attention that Dustin isn't being sponsored. Dustin represents Jamaica and is their #1 player. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why this talented professional player isn't being sponsored.

I think there are a lot of companies out there missing the boat. He is receiving equipment sponsoring, but not personal sponsoring or travel coverage.

This is ridiculous. Dustin is a professional athlete, with modeling credits under his belt, why in the world hasn't he been swooped up by Nike, or Adidas? Where are the clothing sponsors or travel sponsors?

He is a very marketable guy. I am disappointed that while Jamaica has a tennis federation they are not doing anything for the professional tennis players.

I guess what' glitters isn't always gold. *sigh*

Please go over to Black Tennis Pro and read about Dustin for yourself. Check out an older, but more detailed interview with Dustin by BTP.

3 comments:

  1. That does not make sense. Maybe he should come play for the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is distressful! =( Sometimes you wonder if having the dream and struggling makes you want it more. I guess it depends on the person.

    A few years ago there was a young man from New York City named Jason Benta who was trying to compete in the Winter Olympics as an ice skater (speed racer) but I never knew what happened to his story either. I am not to sure if he was able to get a sponsor either =(.

    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0DE6D81E3DF932A15750C0A9679C8B63

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~*Toni*~2:54 PM

    I never heard of neither of them but I don't get why some people get sponsered and some don't. I thought most professional atheletes did.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.