Skip to main content

Old School Friday: Old School Hip Hop

Old School Hip Hop wouldn't be complete for me without a 2Pac track or two. "Brenda's Got a Baby" is song that introduced a lot of people to Tupac Shakur because of it's commercial message: a teenage mother is everyone's problem. When the record was released, he was not even of drinking age.

2Pac: Brenda's Got A Baby



The Lost Boyz included Freaky Tah, Mr. Cheeks, Pretty Lou, and Spigg Nice. The rap quartet's first single -- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless" -- earned them a contract with Uptown Records, which released their second single, "Jeeps, Lex Coups, Bimaz & Benz." They released their debut album, "Legal Drug Money." Despite the negative title of the CD, they released a positive track - which is my favorite track on that album - called "Renee" ... a track about losing a love.

Lost Boyz: Renee



-----------------------------

Check out other Old School Friday posts by:

Regina | Celeb-Blitz | Marcus LANGFORD | MrsGrapevine | The Marvalus View | LaKeshia | Invisible Woman | Electronic Village | Miscellaneous Matters | AJ | There Already | Dallas South | Fresh and Fab | irigal | The True Urban Queen | Songs In The Key Of Life | What Would Thembi Do? | Wonderland or Not

Comments

  1. nice selection girl. Brenda's Got A Baby is an absolute classic, this is my favorite so far

    have a great weekend hun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda Got Baby I love that song. It is one of my writing songs. (songs I listen to get in my frame of mind for a story).
    I let my daughter hear it one day and she was hooked. Had to have it on her I pod.

    Lost Boyz Renee I hadn't heard until now. Where was I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy OSF. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really went deep with Renee. Genius. Brenda shows the true genius of Mr. Shakur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda is hardcore real. Makes me sad to not have seen where Tupac could have aspired to.

    Have a great weekend.

    In light and love

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. "just because you're in the ghetto don't mean you can't grow"

    WOW! Tupac's video and lyrics are deep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo sis you got it going on this week. Some really tight choices. I had to do my Tupac and Bigge thang as well. This song you did really shows that side of Tupac that no one really knows (a caring side)..

    onelove..have a great Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. We chose the same song, I have to change my song now. I love Tupac, and there's no way, that I can let a hip-hop OSF go by without playing PAC.

    Renee was the song, I remember thinking that song was deep when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Mrs. Grapevine: That's how I felt. Had to put on some Pac.

    And Renee was/still is deep...

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU BETTER STOP!!!

    Brenda's Got A Baby is my very favorite Pac joint...I can recite it word for word and it still almost breaks my heart to listen to it because it is so real...

    Excellent!

    Happy OSF!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two great picks! Tupac is classic and I love the lost boyz, legal drug money was a hot album!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should have placed a disclaimer for this post!! I was jamming too hard!!

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL@ Cassandra. You know I take my OSF posts very seriously. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Boy! Kal’El Joseph Riley

Terri J. Vaughn and hubby Karon Riley had a healthy baby boy last Monday. Terri spent six hours in labor and gave birth to little Kal’El Joseph Riley at 6:05 P.M.

He weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.

Congrats to the couple.

Jennifer Love Hewitt Fat? Please...

Jennifer Love Hewitt fans have been dogging her out on the Net saying they can't believe she's let herself go and 'oh my God she's SO fat!'

The girl is a size freakin' 2! Are they on crack?

Oh I get it, they've finally seen some pics of a celebrity that weren't air brushed and they couldn't handle it.... let me explain: What you see on TV, in magazines and online is a bunch of lighting, air brushing and hair & make up trickery. There, carry on please.

Michael Jackson: Before & After Thriller

As you may know by now, Michael Jackson will be on the December 2007 issue of Ebony Magazine. They are showcasing him 25 years after "Thriller".

I commend him on still trying to be out there after years of controversy and court cases, but I wish the man had stayed out of the plastic surgeon's office.

Here's Micheal Jackson before "Thriller"



Here's Micheal Jackson during "Thriller"



And here's Micheal Jackson 25 years after "Thriller"



Who's Bad??