Skip to main content

Old School Friday: Freedom Songs

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

This week's OSF theme is "Freedom Songs."

Billie Holiday is an old school favorite. She sang 'Strange Fruit' as a protest song, but IMO it's also a plea for freedom.. to be freed from racism and slavery and to be free of all the pain & suffering African Americans had to face during those times.

Billie Holiday: Strange Fruit



If you're a fan of musicians and not just music, then you can probably appreciate the way Joni Mitchell can capture your attention with just her voice and her guitar. She didn't need all the glitz, bling and various stage props and distractions that many top artists need today.

Joni Mitchell: Cactus Tree



Have a safe holiday!

-----------------------------

Check out other Old School Friday posts by:

Regina | Celeb-Blitz | Marcus LANGFORD | MrsGrapevine | The Marvalus View | LaKeshia | Invisible Woman | Electronic Village | Miscellaneous Matters | AJ | There Already | Dallas South | Fresh and Fab | irigal | The True Urban Queen | Funky Finga Productions | Songs In The Key Of Life | What Would Thembi Do? | Wonderland or Not

Comments

  1. Very good choices. Great singers never need much glitz and noise and back up dancers.
    Enjoy the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were just talking about this subject the other day. Performances are much too noisy and distracting today...not enough substance...new generation, I suppose.

    Nevertheless, Lady Sings the Blues is one of my all-time favorite movies and Billie Holiday truly was a phenomenal talent.

    I still get chills just listening to that song and envisioning the pictures I've seen.

    If you're not familiar with Eva Cassidy, she's someone you should check out. She's passed on now, but her cut "Song Bird" will have you crying a river of tears if it catches you at the right time because it's so beautiful. She also stole Sting's Fields of Gold. Eva was an incredible talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jacqueline! You know I'm going to go check her out and I will probably do a spotlight.

    PS - Look for a shout out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! and no one does it like Lady Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Billie Holiday and this song always makes me sad & happy, sad because of what was, and happy because we will never hang from anyones trees again

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I don't think I would have lasted long back then. It's not in my nature to be submissive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know if my commenttook -computer crash. So just in case here it is again.

    You know I loves me some Billie! I posted her a couple of weeks back. And Joni, well you know I've been digging her for a long time ever since...{singing}pave paradise put up a parking lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Boy! Kal’El Joseph Riley

Terri J. Vaughn and hubby Karon Riley had a healthy baby boy last Monday. Terri spent six hours in labor and gave birth to little Kal’El Joseph Riley at 6:05 P.M.

He weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.

Congrats to the couple.

Jennifer Love Hewitt Fat? Please...

Jennifer Love Hewitt fans have been dogging her out on the Net saying they can't believe she's let herself go and 'oh my God she's SO fat!'

The girl is a size freakin' 2! Are they on crack?

Oh I get it, they've finally seen some pics of a celebrity that weren't air brushed and they couldn't handle it.... let me explain: What you see on TV, in magazines and online is a bunch of lighting, air brushing and hair & make up trickery. There, carry on please.

Michael Jackson: Before & After Thriller

As you may know by now, Michael Jackson will be on the December 2007 issue of Ebony Magazine. They are showcasing him 25 years after "Thriller".

I commend him on still trying to be out there after years of controversy and court cases, but I wish the man had stayed out of the plastic surgeon's office.

Here's Micheal Jackson before "Thriller"



Here's Micheal Jackson during "Thriller"



And here's Micheal Jackson 25 years after "Thriller"



Who's Bad??