Skip to main content

Old School Friday: Blackberry Molases

Hey Folks,

It's time for another installment of Old School Friday... This week's theme is Kid Groups.

Ranging from the ages of 13, 15, 15 & 16, MISTA is considered a kid group IMO. The group was comprised of Darryl Allen, Bobby Wilson, Brandon Brown, and Byron Reeder, and was pretty much a one-hit wonder group with the breakout hit, "Blackberry Molases."

I loved their voices & wondered why they broke up. But, one of the members is now a favorite solo artist of mine & that's Bobby Valentino (a.k.a. Bobby Wilson).



Debbie Pryce & Susie Banfield were members of a female rap duo from the UK. They gained fame because they were easily marketable as a commercial gimmick, but they also had some skills (for that day & age).

Their group was called The Cookie Crew, and most people will probably remember them for their 80s hit single, "Born This Way."

I actually knew all the words... shhhhh.



-----------------------------

Check out other Old School Friday posts by:

Regina | Celeb-Blitz | Marcus LANGFORD | MrsGrapevine | The Marvalus View | LaKeshia | Invisible Woman | Electronic Village | Miscellaneous Matters | AJ | There Already | Dallas South | Fresh and Fab | irigal | The True Urban Queen | Funky Finga Productions | Songs In The Key Of Life | What Would Thembi Do? | Wonderland or Not

Comments

  1. Girl these are truly some great, original picks. I had forgotten about Mista. BBM was the joint back in the day. I'm sorry they went the route of one-hit wonder, as did BV. Slow Down was the joint that summer though!

    I don't remember this other group! So you done showed a sista something today!

    Happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...wow...wow! I totally forgot about Mista...and Blackberry Molasses is just the bomb!

    Great, great picks Shae!

    Happy OSF! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I swear I listen to my old CDs more than the new ones so sometimes these songs are on regular rotation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know either of these groups. The guys really harmonized well. I enjoyed listening and learning. Happy OSF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness! These are great choices. I loved the cookie crew and "Blackberry Molasses" was the jam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the only I know that still remembers the Cookie Crew besides myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices.

    Thanks for taking me back.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t heard of either groups, but I enjoyed Blackberry Molasses, great lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the Mista. It feels just like yesterday, except I'm 30 now.

    Cookie Crew, I don't remember, so maybe I'm not too old, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! I don't know how I forgot about that one because I used to have Blackberry Molasses on repeat! To bad they didn't go farther as a group, I loved the sound. Bobby Valentino is/was pretty successful as a solo artist though.
    I never heard of Cookie Crew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Mista. Never heard the first one but it is lovely. Great Choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Boy! Kal’El Joseph Riley

Terri J. Vaughn and hubby Karon Riley had a healthy baby boy last Monday. Terri spent six hours in labor and gave birth to little Kal’El Joseph Riley at 6:05 P.M.

He weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and 19.5 inches long.

Congrats to the couple.

Jennifer Love Hewitt Fat? Please...

Jennifer Love Hewitt fans have been dogging her out on the Net saying they can't believe she's let herself go and 'oh my God she's SO fat!'

The girl is a size freakin' 2! Are they on crack?

Oh I get it, they've finally seen some pics of a celebrity that weren't air brushed and they couldn't handle it.... let me explain: What you see on TV, in magazines and online is a bunch of lighting, air brushing and hair & make up trickery. There, carry on please.

Michael Jackson: Before & After Thriller

As you may know by now, Michael Jackson will be on the December 2007 issue of Ebony Magazine. They are showcasing him 25 years after "Thriller".

I commend him on still trying to be out there after years of controversy and court cases, but I wish the man had stayed out of the plastic surgeon's office.

Here's Micheal Jackson before "Thriller"



Here's Micheal Jackson during "Thriller"



And here's Micheal Jackson 25 years after "Thriller"



Who's Bad??