Old School Friday: All Along The Watchtower: UPDATE

What's up music buffs? This weeks OSF theme is: Best Guitar/Bass Solos. I have to give it up to Bob Dylan for "All Along The Watchtower" because his eclectic harmonica solos inspired Jimi Hendrix to remake the song and he turned it out!

I am also included the Dave Matthew's Band's version because they did a good job with it at Woodstock '99.

But you already know I'm leading up to Prince's Superbowl XLI Halftime Performance where he decided to tease us with just a little snippet of the song before breaking into Best Of You by the Foo Fighters. I heard a lot of people hated it, but I am still trying to find out if someone has an entire clip of the song somewhere. Probably not.

Bob Dylan


Jimi Hendrix




Dave Matthews Band



PRINCE!!!
(OK I would have put the video here, but you know Prince is on some internet police BS right now so the video is nowhere to be found). :(

But here's the audio! :-D



*Bonus*

Yes, I know you all are too tired of me & Prince, but damn, it isn't my fault the man put out so much music that love. Here's a live version of "She's Always In My Hair" from his 4 disc collection called License 2 Funk. The guitar solo is so sick I had to dig & dig & blow the dust off this to find it. Let me know what you think.



**Bonus II**

How the hell did I forget about Queen!? This was my JOINT back in the day "Another One Bites The Dust."



-----------------------------

Check out other Old School Friday posts by:

Regina | Celeb-Blitz | Marcus LANGFORD | MrsGrapevine | Lisa C | MarvalusOne | The Chocl8t Diaries | LaKeshia | Invisible Woman | Electronic Village | Miscellaneous Matters | AJ | There Already | Hip Hop Generation | Dallas South | irigal | The True Urban Queen | Modern Musings | Funky Finga Productions

16 comments:

  1. Hey Shae, good selections girl. I "almost" did Bob Dylan too. I love his music. He just had this unique sound. I remember when they did, "we are the world," His voice just added this unique flavor..

    ...psst..don't tell anyone...er....I "found me some Prince.."

    come check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he did. Him and Springsteen both stood out along with Cyndi Lauper. DAMN! I could have used Bruce for this theme. LOL

    PS - Oooh I saw your Prince selection. I'm telling! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am digging the Jimi Hendrix!

    And Prince is always good...very good!

    Excellent job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Dylan. . .this is the first I ever listened to his music. (I think).

    Jimi rules.

    Prince makes me so mad with that . . .if you put my videos up I'm going to get you and oh you will be sorry. . .stuff.
    I still love him and I enjoyed the halftime show. I wanted him tho play more of his own music though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's NEVER too much prince or Jimmie Hendrix. I love "Along The Watchtower" and think it's one of his better vocal performances.

    Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon I agree. He knows dag on well that people like me are out there jones'n for a little video or two here & there. LOL He better be glad I don't have access to that infamous vault. I'd release all them hits. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices. It is pretty obvious that Prince is a great favorite of OSFers. I know he's one of mine.

    Played catch up today and went funky this friday.

    Have a great weekend.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some great picks, I can see you had no problem with this theme. I like Bob Dylan's version, Dave Matthews was once a favorite of mind, they were popular in the late 90's., and who doesn't like Queen. I'm really feeling Bob Dylan, I may have to download this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl you guys get an A+ for this theme. I thought I'd have a hard time finding a group (believe it or not I wasn't going to pick Prince!), but when I came across Boy Dylan I was like "Oh I could have done these for the remake theme too!" LOL You're doing a wonderful with this OSF Meme. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, somebody went all out! I love Prince on ANY occassion! So Prince is always OK with me!!
    You got some really good picks. I love Bob Dylan and I actually watched about 5 Jimi Hendricks youtube videos last night trying to decide what to post.
    You did this theme some justice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great choices. It was fun singing along and playing air guitar - lol!

    I posted late, but my choices are up. I thought of The Boss after I posted too.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy OSF! I remember one summer that the Detroit Lions would play 'Another One Bites The Dust' whenever they would win a game...

    I don't know much about guitar solos and such. However, I do know a genius when I see one and I think that Jimi Hendrix was a genius with the guitar. That is why I chose Jimi Hendrix for this week's OSF meme...

    peace, Villager

    ReplyDelete
  13. This theme obviously worked for you! Good job and great choices. I'm going to have to finish listening to them all tomorrow.

    I love both versions of All Along the Watchtower, but give the nod to Hendrix.

    Prince's halftime performance at the Super Bowl was one of the best all time.

    HappY OSF!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ALL of these are great picks! I was definitely gettin' my jam on to a couple of them.

    :::Marcus LANGFORD:::

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks guys. I had fun with this one. Can ya tell? ;-) Of course I kept thinking of others after I went around visiting you guys. We all know of great songs with excellent guitar or bass licks, sometimes we just don't pay it any attention. Had I thought long enough I would have also chosen Bruce Springsteen, Journey, the Eurythmics, Hall & Oats... man I'm telling you, it would have gotten funky up in here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did an excellent job!

    I enjoyed listening to the various versions of "Along the Watchtower."

    "Another One Bites The Dust" is an oldie but goodie!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.